CLOSING DATE: January 9, 2014
YFU is the intercultural exchange program for a U.S. high school student or recent graduate and want to experience another part of the world.
Applicants may choose from a year, semester or summer program that allows them immerse theirself in another culture, learn a new language and live with a host family who will open their home and hearts.
Studying abroad is not just a journey of distance and geography, but of culture and self-transformation.
|Study in: various countries
Host Institution: various countries
|Course Level: High School
Course Starts: May 2014
Argentina, Brazil, Equador, Uruguay, Venezuela
Number of Awards:
Up to 5 partial scholarships.
- US high school students with freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior class standing.
- Applicants must hold a 2.0 grade point average or higher on a 4.0 scale.
What does it cover:
Up to 5 partial scholarships of $1,000 cover:
- Round-trip international travel
- Round-trip domestic travel
- Placement with a carefully selected host family
- Regional orientation for scholarship recipients and parents
- Preparatory materials
- Support services in host country
Scholarship recipients are responsible for the remainder of the program tuition. Program tuition for each country are vary, further information can be found at link below.
How to apply:
- Applicant’s birth date must fall between September 1, 1994 and June 15, 1998.
- Complete application includes:
- 1 Educator Evaluation Form
- Host Family Letter
- 5 Responses to Short Answer Essay Questions
- Application Fee (non-refundable): $75
- Scholarship Recipients are Responsible for:
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Personal spending money
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Required overseas medical insurance (many insurance policies will cover students while traveling abroad)
- Upon returning home, scholarship winners are expected to complete at least one presentation in their school or community to share their experiences, teach others about the culture in their host country, and encourage other students to participate in foreign exchange.
- Tuition balance not covered by scholarship, due two weeks after award notification
Further information and application: