Gates Cambridge International Scholarships
- 15 October 2013 for US citizen based in the USA
- 3 Desember 2013 for all other eligible candidates
|Study in: UK
Host Institution: University of Cambridge, UK
|Course Level: Postgraduate Degree
Course Starts: October 2014
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are one of the most prestigious international scholarships in the world, an highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to intellectually outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK with a capacity for leaderships and a commitment to improving the lives of others.
The programme was established in 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Field of Study(s):
Any subject/field study available at the University of Cambridge.
A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom may apply
Number of Awards:
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are extremely competitive: c. 4,000 applicants apply for 90 Scholarships each year.
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- OR already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
- OR already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge.
- the University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate*
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£13,500 for 12 months at the 2013-14 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Family allowance – up to £7,775 for a first child and up to £1,200 for a second child. No funding is provided for a partner.
- Conference attendance – up to £500 a year if you are presenting.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD.
- Some fourth year funding for PhD Scholars may be provided – but the termly maintenance allowance reduces per term for up to a year**
- Hardship funding – if there are unforeseen difficulties
How to apply:
Applications for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship for entry will open on 1 September 2013.
Applicants must apply for admission as a postgraduate student to the University of Cambridge and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship at the same time, using the one application pack.
To be considered for postgraduate admission and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship all applicants must submit the following documents to the Graduate Admissions Office by the relevant deadline:
- GRADSAF application form (which includes a Gates Cambridge section)
- Academic transcripts
- 2 academic references
- 1 personal reference (for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship)
Although not specifically required for the Gates Cambridge application, the Graduate Admissions Office or academic department may require some applicants to submit the following for admission to the University:
- English language test scores (if English is not your first language)
- A research proposal, an example of your written work, a GRE/GMAT score, etc. Not all applicants will be required to submit such documents – you will find details of what you need to submit in the Graduate Studies Prospectus and department website.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they submit all documents required so they can be considered for both admission and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
Further information and application:
Incoming search terms:
- international masters scholarships for 2014/2015 in england